Schooner

Schooner

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

New but old-Dana's view

I have a few things to say about our old dinghy. More then a few actually but in addition to being old, small, and a bit of an eye sore it was reliable. It got us out of a jam when we were in NYC and Joshua had many fun adventures with it but it wasn't really meant to be a dinghy like we were using it for. In fact, it was actually a child's sailing dinghy. I never stepped foot into it. It was too tippy and wasn't meant to hold much weight. It also leaked a little. As I said...many things to say about it.

We have been looking for a new one ever since it was obvious we would need a bigger one. When you are on anchor not only will a dinghy get you to the shore from the boat while holding you but also any laundry, groceries, and water. We knew we wanted it to still fit on the foredeck when we made any passages and it also needed to be durable. Inflatables are nice but made of plastic and tend to deteriorate quickly.

So we needed strength, longevity, a good size, and most of all-a decent price. You would not believe how hard it is to find each one of those things without having to sacrifice another. But we did it! It kind of just happened. Joshua was skimming the local Craigslist and came across an ad for the dinghy that was docked on other side of our slip. Imagine that, it was right under our noses.

Joshua said he looked at the ad before but for whatever reason skipped it. He showed me and I told him to just shoot the guy a quick email. The guy mentioned he was actually going to be stopping by the marina that day-perfect!


I wasn't present for the whole conversation but Joshua has a way of dickering with people so I knew he didn't need my help. By the time I had gotten out there he worked it out so that not only were we going to get it for less then listing price but he was also going to take our old dinghy. This was a big weight off of our shoulders as we weren't sure how to get rid of it. Who would want such an old boat?

Apparently there is always a person who has a need for old boats as the day after our deal some people were there picking it up. They said they were very happy because they had been looking for one. When asked what they were going to do with it they said it will be their new couch. Ok, to each their own! It was finally off the foredeck from when we lashed it down to go offshore and would actually have a purpose again.
30 Day FREE amazon prime membership!!! Sign up now for this special trial. Cancel anytime.

I'm sure that Joshua will have an interesting story to tell regarding my issue with small boats but I finally conquered my fear and got in. I'm proud of myself!

Out with the old....

...In with the new(ish). 

I want to thank everyone for reading and following our adventures. We have many more in store so stay tuned! Also, we have a Facebook page now so please give us a "like" and share with your friends!
 Our Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment